Church in Zimbabwe in need of our prayers
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?”
– Matthew 6:25 [NIV]
On the 27 June, Robert Mugabe was re-elected as President of Zimbabwe, but his victory caused widespread condemnation from around the world due to reports of escalating violence and restrictions on democracy within the country.
Zimbabwe now suffers chronic shortages of meat, milk, bread and other basic foodstuffs and relies on imports and handouts from foreign governments and relief agencies to feed its people. The inflation rate is now estimated at 2 million per cent and people are facing starvation. Scores of people have been wounded and more than 1,000 homes burnt or destroyed in attacks by gangs wielding whips, axes and clubs. There have been widespread reports of killing, maiming, abduction and mutilation.
As in most conflict situations, the Church of Zimbabwe has not been excluded but it is clear that the Church is not being singled out and people from all walks of life have been affected. Although Open Doors is acutely concerned over the situation in Zimbabwe we believe our involvement should be on the basis of serving persecuted Christians and that is not the case in this situation.
Open Doors staff members are monitoring the situation closely, and should it become evident that there is suffering because of Christian faith, we will of course get involved according to our vision.
Source: Open Doors
* Pray that the Church would be a shining light to those around them. May they demonstrate the godly traits of wisdom and gentleness at this time
* Please pray for unity within the Body.
* Reports from Zimbabwe state that the Church is growing despite the circumstances. Please pray for wisdom for church leaders as they seek to disciple these new believers who are facing so many challenges.
* Please pray that the Lord would bring peace and stability to Zimbabwe.
* Please pray that the Lord would open up ways for Christian organisations and churches to bring much needed aid to Zimbabwe.
Thank you for praying with us.